www.flickr.com
shoehada's photos More of shoehada's photos

Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Miss

Nice, France, 2007.

I miss France.

I miss speaking in French.

I miss waking up 30 minutes before class starts and still be on time for it.

I miss the 15 minutes' walk to school. I miss walking in the cold.

I miss wearing winter clothes. I miss having a reason to wear them.

I miss cooking. I miss my cooking. I miss cooking for other people. I miss cooking for myself. I miss taking photos of the food that I cook.

I miss grocery shopping at Carrefour. I miss taking the bus to Carrefour. I miss the 10 minutes' bus ride to Carrefour. I miss running for the bus with my heavy groceries that usually weigh at least 7 to 12 kg. I miss the 25 minutes' walk from the bus stop to my hostel, stopping at times because the groceries were too heavy.

I miss taking bus no. 4 to town. I miss taking bus no. 4 to the train station. I miss taking bus no. 4 to buy chicken from the halal boucherie. I miss making mistakes with the change and have them return me the extra change I'm always giving them.

I miss my hostel neighbours. I miss my classmates. I miss my classes. I miss my teachers. I miss my friends. I miss chatting with them in their rooms.

I miss having to go to school, do school work, do group projects, do my laundry, cook, grocery shop, clean my room, have at least 7 hours of sleep a day and still have the time to travel.

I miss not having to worry about grades but still get good grades anyway.

I miss taking photos of everything.

I miss the beautiful sunset I see every evening from my hostel window. I miss looking at the sky which never seemed to end from my hostel window. I miss taking photos of it.

I miss my bed. I miss snuggling under my comforter because the central heater was not working properly. I miss having to collect new sheets every 15 days and change them. I miss the cheery orange pillow cover that I bought for 2 euros.

I miss everyone who has been nice to me one way or another.

I miss France.

I've never missed being here a single day I was there.

4 comments:

Salih said...

If you miss France that much why don't you consider making a post-graduate study there?
I haven't been to France but from what i realized from your description it is not much different from Turkey. We have the same climate, the same kind of nice people and even the Carrefour.
Can you write something on Singapore?

YFL said...

aww siti, don't you miss me?? :(

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's yr cuz Jessica. I can relate in a way. Perhaps a new adventure? Have you been to Japan? I went to Osaka and Kyoto last year and it was awesome. I learnt enough Japanese to shop. Boy, did I shop. Just been to the US - don't bother going there! It's so boring and the food is so bland. I so want to come back for Hari Raya!!

Syuhada said...

Salih: I'm sure there are nice people everywhere else. :) I've no money to do postgrad! :P

Hartoe: I miss having hour-long conversations with u & vadai 4000 miles away from one another!

Jessica: Haha nope haven't been to Japan! Yeah come back here and then we can catch up. :)